Labels

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Disagreements Within The Body: Are We Rearranging The Deck Chairs On The Titanic?

Over the weekend, I started arguments with my roommate, and I fought with a local pastor. Why did I waste my breath on fights with fellow Christians? I can sum-up my squabbles with one word: Pruning.

Pruning is good. God has been pruning my possessions and my accommodations for years. While I still have too much stuff, I have much less than I had a few years ago. Someday I will have my soul, and nothing else. I’m growing more comfortable with that premise. Someday soon, we will all be pruned. Will we fight with God, or will we submit to the pruning?
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned John 15:1-6 (ESV)

Pruning #1: The first fight was with a self-described Messianic pastor that worships on Sunday, eats pork and shrimp, believes in the rapture, screams at other believers, and claims I lack the ability to father children. When I questioned his double minded positions, he attacked my character, and my ability to procreate.
This local pastor, after many years of preaching fear and anger, has a congregation of two or three people. I don’t know if it was from God, or me; however, I pruned him on Sunday morning, after he posted anti-government rhetoric on Face Book. After a harsh pruning, will he continue to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic, or will he bear fruit? I don’t know.

Pruning #2: My new roommate is a fine Christian man that has a perfect lawn, and a perfect house. He is so practically perfect in every way, Mary Poppins would be proud of him. On Sunday I did the unforgiveable, I parked my boat in a non-specified location. When I chose to park my boat away from a dead tree, he confronted me. I didn’t want a dead tree to destroy my uninsured boat. He wanted his way, and I wanted my boat to survive the next storm. Although I pruned him too, he owns the lot and can ask me to leave anytime. Thus, I may be pruned soon too.
Is my roommate rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic too? Maybe. If my calculations are correct, tough times are due soon. If the world’s economy melts down tomorrow, perfection will belong to bygone days. Who will care about a perfect lawn when a great depression or a natural disaster hits soon?

A day of financial reckoning is, indeed, nigh for America! And the rest of the world, too. David Stockman.
Or this hits… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRJ2z_YrX_0

Okay…I’m a messy person that picks fights with duplicitous Christians. Am I the greater sinner? Who is my role model?
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42 (ESV)

In spite of my sinful self, I’m attempting to do what God wants me to do. When tough times hit, will you be caught rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, or praying for God’s will to be done?
Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment